Orange River Canoe Tours
Canoe and rafting trips on the Orange River
Various canoe tours for active holidaymakers are organized on the picturesque Orange River, the border river between Namibia and South Africa. The offers range from an unguided half-day tour to an intensive seven-day package.
- Various canoe tours, eg
- 3 nights canoe tour
- 4 nights canoe tour
- 5 nights canoe tour
Guided canoe tours on the Orange River
Experience the Orange River in the rough nature of the Richtersveld from a comfortable Mohawk canoe or rubber boat with Amanzi Trails.
The Orange River is one of the few rivers in Namibia with no crocodiles and hippos. The canoe trip is completely safe and meanders through breathtaking gorges of the Namibian and South-African border area. The river trip with some shallow rafting spots is conducted on the calmer parts of the river, making it also suitable for children from the age of six years and older people.
Passing fields of grapes and rugged mountain ranges of the Richtersveld the river safari continues towards Aussenkehr, a grape farm in the middle of the Aussenkehr Nature Reserve. Numerous aquatic birds and birds of prey (over 100 different species are found along the river) can be seen during the river safari. Otters, klipspringers and vervet monkeys and many other mammals are spotted frequently.
All meals, from dinner on the day of arrival to breakfast on the last day, are prepared by Amanzi rails. This also includes coffee and tea. Other drinks and snacks can be purchased at the base camp. Everyone should take along 4 liters of water per day.
Amanzi Trails Video
Equipment for the Orange River canoe tours
Please note the following:
Camping equipment is not included in the trails, which means that you have to bring your own groundsheets (if you plan to stay outside) or a tent, mattress and sleeping bag. If this is not possible, these items of equipment can also be booked at Amanzi for the following extra costs:
- 2 person tents: N $ 300 / rental fee
- Sleeping bag: N $ 200 / rental fee
- Inflatable mattress: N $ 270 single or N $ 370 double / retail price (not awarded). Alternatively, free use of a yoga mat as a sleeping pad.
Things to bring on Orange River Rafting Tours:
- All relevant documentation (passports, visas, etc)
- Sleeping bag & mattress (mat or inflatable)
- Small tent
- Ground sheet (if you wish to sleep under the stars)
- Eating utensils, plate & mug
- Heavy-duty black bags x 6
- Old beach umbrella (especially in summer)
- T-shirts x 2
- Shorts / swimming costume x 2
- Old running shoes / crocs / aqua shoes
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Hat (preferably wide-brimmed for full sun protection)
- Sunglasses (with ties)
- Towel / kikoy / sarong
- Windbreaker & warmer clothes for evening
- Toiletries (biodegradable please)
- Sunblock and Lip-ice (minimum SPF 30)
- After-sun cream
- Insect repellent
- Toilet rolls x 2
- Plasters and personal medication
- Water scoop (e.g. HTH bottle)
- Rope (to tie your things down if needed)
- Drinks – beverages and drinking water. Tea and coffee is provided. Please note that one will drink much more than one thinks so please ensure that sufficient drinks and water is brought along.
- Camera (please bring along a waterproof “dry bag”)
- Fishing gear
- Fold-up camping chairs
All pictures © Amanzi Trails River Adventures
The most worthwhile packages are as follows:
- 2 days / 3 nights package (30 km)
- 3 days / 4 nights package to Aussenkehr (65 km)
- 4 days / 5 nights package to Grootpens (88 km)
|01.01.20 - 31.12.20||01.01.21 - 31.12.21|
|3 nights (4 guests or more)||N$ 2740||N$ 2830|
|3 nights (2-3 guests)||N$ 3230||N$ 3350|
|4 nights (4 guests or more)||N$ 4150||N$ 4300|
|4 nights (2-3 guests)||N$ 4790||N$ 4950|
|5 nights (4 guests or more)||N$ 4480||N$ 4640|
|5 nights (2-3 guests)||N$ 5160||N$ 5340|
|The rates are per person|
It’s our pleasure to book this activity for you. You will have no additional costs as we charge the public rates. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions.
If you would like to do the tour with your children under the age of 18, please write to us. There are separate regulations and some things that must be taken care of.