Fort Sesfontein and the desert elephants
Sesfontein is situated about 130 km south of Opuwo and is a district town in the Kunene region. The name means "six fountains". The town lies in the transition region of Damaraland and Kaokoveld.
The government of former German South West Africa built the Fort Sesfontein in 1896. It served as a control base for poching, smuggling of weapons and the cattle plague.
From the ruins of the Fort a lodge was built. Touristic highlights of the area are the Ongongo fountain, excursions to the desert dwelling elephants and visits to the nomadic Himba tribes.